Changes to BC Pesticide Licencing Procedure


Authorization to sell or use pesticides

Pesticide exams, certificates, and authorizations are affected by the pandemic. IPM Response to COVID-19

An authorization may be required to sell pesticides, apply pesticides to public or private land, to apply pesticides as a service, or for specified industrial uses or water. Under the Integrated Pest Management Act and Regulation there are four types of authorizations:

Certificates are issued to individual pesticide applicators
Licences, confirmations and permits are issued to businesses that have certified pesticide applicators

Before using any pesticides, find out which authorization is required for your specific situation. Please refer to the sector review paper to help determine which authorization you need.

Get an overview of authorization types
Lookup sector review papers

Pesticide licence

Before you apply, first confirm that you need a licence:

Get the right authorization

To apply for a pesticide licence, you will need staff with a valid pesticide certificate in the appropriate category:

Find out how to get certified

Starting on January 25, 2021, apply for your pesticide licence at your nearest Service BC Center.

To apply for a pesticide licence at a Service BC Center, you will need to bring:
A completed pesticide licence application form (PDF, 416KB)
     o This is a new form. Older versions of the form won’t be accepted
Proof that your business is in good standing if it is registered with the BC Registrar of Companies
     o This can be a Certificate of Good Standing or a screenshot of an online search of the Corporate Registry
     o Service BC can provide the certificate or online search for a fee
If you are renewing your licence, a copy of the email confirming receipt of the annual summary report for the previous calendar year

Out-of-province applicants can submit their application form to

Pesticide use confirmation

In general, confirmations are necessary for large-scale industrial operations. If confirmation is required, a Pest Management Plan must be prepared and subjected to public and First Nation consultation. Only then can it be registered with the Ministry.

Please refer to the sector review paper to help determine which authorization you need.

Get an overview of when confirmations are required
Lookup sector review papers

If your PMP is complete, you can submit a Pesticide Use Notice to obtain a confirmation for pesticide uses prescribed by the Integrated Pest Management Act and Regulation.

Pesticide Use Notice (PDF, 2.2MB)
Pesticide Use Notice (Fillable PDF, 54KB)
     o Note: The fillable PDF form is only compatible with Internet Explorer. You can download Internet Explorer here.

Notice of intent to treat

Confirmation holders must submit a Notice of Intent to Treat to the Administrator at least 21 days before the first use of pesticides in a calendar year. This form is meant to assist in assuring all necessary information is provided.

Submit a notice of intent to treat (PDF, 245KB)


Certain pesticide uses require a permit instead of a confirmation or a licence.

Make sure you have the right authorization

Contact Information

For questions about legislation or regulation, contact the Integrated Pest Management Program:

Office: 250-387-9502
Fax: 250-356-0299
PO Box 9341 Stn Prov Govt Victoria, BC V8W 9M1

Regional contacts
Regional offices with pesticide officers:

2080 Labieux Road
Nanaimo, B.C.  V9T 6J9

102 Industrial Place
Penticton, B.C.  V2A 7C8

Prince George
325 - 1011 Fourth Avenue
Prince George B.C. V2L 3H9

10470-152nd Street
Surrey, B.C.  V3R 0Y3