Message from the WCTA President - May/June 2021

“I CAN SEE THE LIGHT”.
by Gary Bartley, UBC Athletics  

With the changes to the PHO orders, there is light at the end of the tunnel.  It has been a long and challenging 14 to 16 months.  We have all been impacted by COVID, some far more than others.  READ MORE


Announcing the WCTA Online Webinar Series - WOW 2.0

With few options for providing education opportunities over the past 15 months or so, the WCTA created our first ever, online webinar series or WOW for short.  Hosted on Zoom, the inaugural episode was held in late October 2020, with a couple more following in December and January 2021.  The final session had been scheduled for February but it evolved into our successful, 2-day, ‘WOTS-UP’ virtual conference.  READ MORE

Prairie Turfgrass Research Center Will Wind-Down 'PTRC' Moniker

By Jason Pick As many are aware, the PTRC lost two very capable turfgrass scientists in recent years, which has prompted an in-depth review of the sustainability of its research program.  READ MORE

WCTA Supports Turf Managers by Investing in 2021 Research Projects

The WCTA Board is pleased to announce it will continue supporting important and valuable turf research in 2021.  Based on funds raised in 2020, cash available to the Research Committee for new project funding is $24,000.  READ MORE

CTRF Announces 2021 Turf Research Project Funding

May 28, 2021 For immediate release: The Canadian Turfgrass Research Foundation (CTRF) is pleased to share current and ‘new for 2021’, turf research project funding details as follows.  You can view current and past CTRF funded research reports at www.turfresearchcanada.ca.  READ MORE

Nathan Wade Named as WCTA Director

Message from the WCTA Board It’s been an unusual year for the WCTA Board with Cam Watt’s departure from the industry.  Gary Bartley, from UBC Athletics, moved into the Presidency role ahead of schedule leaving the VP position empty but fortunately, Stu Carmichael from the City of Courtenay, stepped up and has filled that role.  READ MORE

83% of WCTA Members Have Paid 2021 Dues

May 25, 2021 Dear WCTA Members, If you haven’t already, it’s now time to take care of your 2021 membership dues.  Nearly 83% of members have paid and we’re hoping to catch the remaining 17% before the official start of summer on June 21.  READ MORE

Olds College Campus News: Turf Diploma Compressed

By Jason Pick The turfgrass management diploma and degree programs are still going strong amidst covid; all sections are once again at capacity.  READ MORE

Fraise Mowing Coming to a Field Near You

By Jerry Rousseau During our 2017 field day hosted by Tab Buckner and the Township of Langley, Ross Rivers Enterprises provided a brief fraise mowing demonstration.  As far as I knew, it was the first time most of us in attendance were seeing this seriously destructive but impressive cultural practice in person.  I’d describe it as coordinated sod removal by force without the need to pick-up those annoying rolls.  READ MORE