Sports Turf Management & Maintenance Online Course - Jan 6, 13, 20 & 27
Registration for Sports Turf Canada's Sports Turf Management & Maintenance online course is now open.
This course is designed to introduce the latest principles and techniques of managing and maintaining natural sports turf. The course will be of interest to those who manage or maintain sports turf, other turf areas, and those who wish to develop additional knowledge and skills in this important field.
• Turf species and their uses, characteristics and benefits, emphasizing the latest and best varieties for particular uses
• Soils as a growth medium for turfgrass including soil fertility, soil water movement and management of soils for better athletic field performance
• Cultural practices which enhance and promote good turf and improved playing conditions
• Water management including sub-surface and surface drainage systems, irrigation practices and systems and the efficient use of water and weather information for managing improvements under water restrictions
• An overview of the identification, monitoring and control of weeds, insects, and diseases in sports turf
• Integrated pest management (IPM) programs to recognize and monitor infestations of weeds, insects, and diseases, to identify thresholds, to reduce pesticide use, and to utilize biological and cultural methods to control/reduce infestations
• Renovations and restoration methods for poorly performing fields and best practices which promote good conditions and improved maintenance practices
• Sports field construction including proper design, layout, orientation and the hidden aspects for good turf
The course is held over 4 days (2.5 hours each day).