WCTA 59th Annual Conference & Trade Show Cancelled
Release…January 10, 2022
In light of the current Provincial Health Orders put in place December 23rd and continued volatility/uncertainty related to COVID, the Western Canada Turfgrass Association Board of Directors has unanimously decided to cancel the upcoming ‘59th Annual Conference and Trade Show’.
An episode of the ‘WCTA Online Webinar’ series or ‘WOW’, will broadcast on February 17, 2022 featuring speakers booked for the live show with a focus on offering CEC/CEU points for BC and AB pesticide applicators. Our Annual General Meeting will also take place at the same time; extended details to follow in a couple weeks.
WCTA President Gary Bartley commented, “It’s incredibly disappointing especially after already relocating to the River Rock but there were just too many unknowns and variables to proceed. We tried holding off as long as possible and while last Tuesday’s press conference from Dr. Bonnie Henry was somewhat encouraging and hopefully things improve over the coming weeks, there is just too much risk to proceed from both health & safety and financial standpoints.”
“Understanding that many delegates, exhibitors and our entire speaker line-up had plans to participate in our show, we knew a go or no-go decision needed to be made sooner rather than later,” added WCTA VP, Stuart Carmichael. “Unfortunately, it’s not in the cards this year.”
All registered delegates and exhibitors will receive full refunds and staff will be working through these in the coming weeks. All questions/inquiries will be responded to as promptly as possible.
“The Board holds education and networking opportunities as one of its highest priorities and it was a difficult but necessary decision to cancel,” explained WCTA Executive Director, Jerry Rousseau, adding, “Visions of a ‘Super-Summer Field Day’ series have already been discussed with one likely venue in Kamloops, and potential stops on the Island, Lower Mainland and Southern Alberta. Of course a lot needs to happen before anything is official but that’s the direction we’re heading.”
Some notes of interest:
• If you booked accommodation at the Penticton Lakeside Resort and not yet cancelled, please call 1-800-663-9400 (there is no cancellation fee). Booking for the River Rock had not yet opened so no action is required unless you booked outside our room block.
• Full refunds will be issued to registered delegates and exhibitors/sponsors, typically in the same form as payment was received, ie. paid by credit card, refund will be issued to that card.
• For delegates registered after December 21 and who paid by credit card, we did not process these payments.
• If your 2022 membership payment was included on your conference registration, we will now proceed with processing the dues portion only and a sales receipt will be emailed to you.
• If you have questions, for best results please email WCTA Executive Director, Jerry Rousseau.